Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thank You

Remember this?

Guess what did I receive in my mailbox today...
A present from my Thai friend, Veaw!!
and note this, I have not seen her for 9 years and every year, without fail, she will send me a card and present! She doesn't have internet nor email nor know anything about blogging...we can't really communicate due to her limited english capacity but she has never forgotten me!
1998 I went to Chiangmai, Thailand for community work with the school. We painted a childcare centre, build schools, interacted with the locals and stayed in with the local families. Veaw was my host. She stayed in a rice field and we had to take this little tutu bus to school. Her family isn't well off, she had to take care of her brother and sister after school. One thing that left me a deep impression was...When I was staying with them, the entire family ate only rice, vege and soup while I had a piece of luncheon meat (specially for me!) ... I knew I had been very fortunate all these while ...

Many times, I will forget about how lucky I am.
Many times, I will grumble about the things that I don't have and not take a closer look at the things that I have.
Many times, I forget how lucky I am.
Thank you Veaw. Although you may not read this... but thank you for making me realise how fortunate I am, in all aspects and specially lucky to have a friend who always remembers me this way!

No comments: